POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : IMBJR Flood : Re: IMBJR Flood Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IMBJR Flood
From: IMBJR
Date: 27 Aug 2000 05:13:54
Message: <39a8dbd2@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <39A896A3.3827E31D@pacbell.net>...

>IMBJR wrote:
>>
>> Chris Huff wrote in message ...

>> >This isn't Usenet. :-)
>>
>> Mmm, it is because it works by the NTTP protocol - which makes it usenet.
>>
>> >This news server (news.povray.org) is a private server. With luck,
>>
>> It's not private, you don't even need an account to access it. It is a
>> public news server that is a part of Usenet.
>
>I can assure you that both Chris H. and I are intimately familiar with
>this news server and I can say without reservation that it is in no
>way associated with USENET in any way, shape, or form. It is privately
>funded, owned, and operated by a member for the POV-Team who will not
>under any circumstances allow it to be connected to USENET by any means
>possible. This how they manage to keep news-bots and spammers out of
>here. You will notice, if you take the time to look, that the majority

But if I can connect to this server, what stops them? They could flood the
groups with spam in a trice. It would be a full time job making sure nothing
like that gets through. See my reply to Chris Huff on the subject of whether
or not this Usenet.

>of people that post here do so with their real names and e-mail addresses
>because they know that it is a private server that is not used as a
>collection point for spammers and address collectors.

I prefer a pseudonym, though you will find my e-mail address is quite valid.

I think it is quite possible that spammers are in fact harvesting e-mail
addresses from these groups. The POV server will only see someone accessing
the headers like the rest of us do. I think it is naive of you to believe
you are safe from spam; if the spammers just got one sniff of this server
they would have a field day.